Monday, March 19, 2012

Another long update post - Homecoming

Hi ya'll! Hope you haven't given up on another post, things have been a little busy :) And I wouldn't have it any other way. Honestly, I have no idea how the hours slip by one by one so quickly. In between two hour feedings, changing, laundry, dishes, snuggling, staring, kisses, rocking, singing, and melting over and over, there definitely needs to be more hours in a day.

Ok, so let me back up. On Thursday of last week, we had been in TX for 8 days and although we were having a great time with our friends and loving on our baby, we were so ready to be home. Skyping was only getting us by on a thread, my family was so ready to hold Caleb in their arms. Thursday afternoon I called the agency and they informed me that they had not heard anything yet but promised to let us know as soon as they did. In our paperwork, they specifically said NOT to call our home state to check if paperwork had been received. Well.....I don't always play by the rules......so I called Raleigh DSS, and was transferred to the Interstate Compact Dept. and after answering some questions, the rep was able to confirm that they had received our file and that a caseworker was reviewing it, but that it still needed to be sent back to TX. We were ok with this news, just relieved they had actually received it already from TX. Well, about 30 minutes later I received a phone call from the adoption agency Director. My first thought was that I was about to get reprimanded for calling our state office. LOL But, nope, she was calling to let us know that we were approved to go home!!!!!! Yipeeeeeee

We already missed the flight home, so we would be leaving on Friday at 1pm and arriving home about 7:30pm! We quickly called our parents and I jumped on the laptop to order airline tix for the flight home. Baby boy could have been a lap baby for free, but we really wanted him to be able to stay safe and secure in his car seat with the ability to remain covered up. This also prevented a 3rd person from sitting with us on the plane. This Momma wanted to prevent as many germs as possible!!

We spent one last night of fun with our precious friends at their home and prepared to leave the next morning. Caleb did so so so good on the flights home! In fact, he slept through the entire 2.5hour flight from TX to Charlotte, NC, had his bottle and stretched in Charlotte, and then fell back asleep for the 35min flight. Oh, and his little umbilical cord finally fell off....in the TX airport! LOL

We knew that we would be welcomed home by some of our family and friends, but we had NO IDEA just how many people would be there to welcome home our family. Absolutely overwhelming. These 40 family members, life long friends, co workers, prayer warriors, and encouragers were anxiously awaiting us to round the corner into the lobby of our small airport. At first sight of them we heard screams, clapping, cheers, and lots of awwww as they caught sight of us and the little miracle I was holding. These folks have never given up on us. They have encouraged us, prayed for us, given of their time and finances to support our fundraising adventures, and they BELIEVED that our family would grow through the miracle of adoption. There were handmade precious signs, balloons, stuffed animals and more pictures than could be counted.

Amber was the first in line to see Caleb for the first time. A moment she had been waiting for with baited breath. She jumped up and down, she squealed, she cried. She kissed his head and hands. She fell in love.

Next, my Momma finally got to see her grandson and exhaled for probably the first time in who knows how long. Having struggled for many years to grow her family she knows first hand the heart ache we have endured over the years. She has always been so supportive and hopeful and was completely on board when we told her we wanted to adopt 20 months ago. She never doubted us and always did everything she could to help us succeed. And she also had the very tough job of keeping a VERY excited big sister for the nine days we were in TX! Whew, I'm sure that was a big job! Jeff's parents were next and just loved on him so sweetly. Everyone has been waiting for so long! I found my brother, and he hugged me so tightly. Tears were starting to sting my eyes, but I knew I couldn't completely let them go. He kept telling me over and over "Good job, Good job". I knew what we meant was much bigger than that, but that was all he had to say. Many hugs later, I finally found my Vesta, my best friend, cousin, and fundraiser cohort. Vesta has given of so many many hours baking cheesecakes, dipping fruit, and anything else I ever asked her to help me with. I almost lost it when I hugged her neck. She is my sister and I adore her.

After lots of hugs, kisses, tears, and baby holding, we headed for home sweet home. Mom drove Amber, Caleb and I in her car, and Jeff rode with his parents in their car as we were out of room with all of the luggage. My brother and future SIL and her mom followed in their car, as did my Aunt Valerie. Jeff stopped off at the store to buy more formula (we had plenty of diapers and wipes at home, but no formula). When we arrived home we were greeted by a few others that were not able to make it to the airport but wanted to share their well wishes. Mom, Amber, and Vesta had decorated the house with balloons, little blue footprints, streamers, and other baby boy decorations. It was beautiful! In fact, the decorations are still up! haha, not sure when we will take them down.

Mom had made us a lasagna, yellow cake with chocolate icing (my personal fave), and there was also chicken to enjoy. The house quickly filled with visitors and we had the best time loving on sweet baby boy, who was perfectly behaved by the way. I may be biased, but he is so easy going. I pray he stays that way! haha

After awhile we said our last goodbyes and settled down for the night. We couldn't believe we were finally home, our little family of four.

I wish I had the perfect words to explain how we felt. How very thankful we are for this most precious gift that has been entrusted to us.

1 comment:

  1. What a perfect homecoming for such a special family!!! We had the best time with you all here, and were also so happy for you to introduce Caleb to all his friends and family at his home sweet home.

    ReplyDelete