Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Application is almost finished!

Hi everyone -

Our first application is almost finished and we have definitely learned a few things! First, we never put much thought into child rearing techniques, discipline, etc. We just kind of go with it with Amber. It just seems to work. Sometimes I am the bad guy, and sometimes Jeff is the bad guy. We tend to warn, and then punish, which yes, this includes spanking/popping when necessary. **Gasp** It's the way we were raised and how we feel our children should be raised. We have just a couple of questions left on the application. We can't quite seem to put our answer into words. Maybe someone can help decipher what they are looking for. The question is "What are your expectations for the child you are adopting?' We are probably over analyzing this question but I don't think it means "We want our child to be a brain surgeon at the age of 15" or "We expect our child to be an NBA star". How can you have expectations of a newborn? So, all you ladies out there that have been pregnant, if someone were to ask you "What are your expectations of your child?" How would you answer?

Also, we have been looking into some grant opportunities for helping to cover the cost of the adoption. We will need to have our home study done before we can apply. Hopefully the home study will be the next step. We are also open to any fundraising we may be able to do. Anyone have any creative ideas? All those years raising money for Relay for Life you would think I would have tons of ideas! As special as the American Cancer Society is to me, this is much harder. I think it is because it is easy to ask people to donate money for cancer treatment and research but I am concerned about having fundraisers to help cover the  adoption fees. The fees charged by our non-profit agency go to many things including birthmom counseling, medical expenses, administration, etc. This is where we have to truly rely on God. He led us to pursue adoption, and He will make a way. We have been praying about this and we know there is a way and we will not be discouraged.

Saw 2 cute baby shirts today on an adoption website: "Sorry Angelina, but I'm taken" which is funny cause if I was Angelina Jolie I could just go pick my baby out and be done with it. haha. The 2nd was "Sorry I kept you waiting" Aww, too cute.

Anyway, thanks for reading! Love you all and thanks so much for the prayers and support!

3 comments:

  1. YAY that you have gotten well on your way!!! I am so excited for you!

    I think as far as the question about your expectations...what DO you expect? I think you should and can answer this one like you are talking to a friend. Using your sense of humor and honesty. "We expect him or her to be a baby. With irresistible baby feet and that fantastic baby smell. And to grow as part of our family, immediate and extended, to love and be loved."
    I don't think the way the question is worded that anything more is really necessary.

    As far as fundraising...you are right, it is hard to ask when it is a personal goal. I think you should start by sharing what the costs are. Think about the people in your community and what would attract them to your goal. Publicize your need. What about your church? People always go for pancake breakfasts and pasta dinners up here. Ask friends and family to spread the word. You never know who else has been affected by adoption and may say "wow, they could really use a little help and I can help".

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aww Shan! I love hearing from you and I always appreciate your advice. I wish we lived closer together!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love Shan's answer to the question. She knows you well, because it sounds just like you:) Personally, I think healthy is what we want.

    ReplyDelete